BASIS (British Agrochemical Standards scheme) is an independent organisation set up at the suggestion of the UK government in 1978 to establish and assess standards in the pesticide industry relating to storage, transportation and competence of staff. BASIS is an industry self-regulated scheme in line with government de-regulation policy. BASIS is now a registered charity.
Please note we are on the BASIS suppliers list.
The Basic criteria for all chemical stores
These are stipulated in the code of practice for suppliers of pesticides to Agriculture, Horticulture and Forestry (The Yellow code).
- Suitably sited – this is dependent on the type of chemical and site you wish to place it.
- Of adequate capacity – this will be determined by our customers, we fit bunds which will prevent any leakage from spillage.
- Soundly constructed of fire resistant materials – our stores are constructed of corten steel (high tensile) and painted with marine paint.
- Provided with suitable access and exits – this is dependent on the number of personnel and size of unit required.
- Capable of containing 110% or 185% of the total amount of pesticides/chemicals likely to be stored at any time (the bunding capacity required will be stipulated in the EA guidance)
- Dry internally and frost proof
- Well lit and ventilated
- Marked with appropriate warning signs
- Secure against theft and vandalism
- Equipped, organised and staffed to a suitable standard
Further information can be found HSE information sheet no. 16 – Guidance on storing pesticides for farmers and other professional users’.
Billie Box offers the following units:
- 10ft chemical store (10ft Long x 8ft Wide x 8ft 6in high)
- 20ft chemical store (19ft 10in Long x 8ft Wide x 8ft 6in high)
- 10ft chemical store (9ft 3in Long x 7ft 8in Wide x 7ft 10in high)
- 20ft chemical store (19ft 4″ Long x 7ft 8in Wide x 7ft 10in high)
- 10ft chemical store (7ft 6in Wide x 7ft 6in high)
- 20ft chemical store (7ft 6in Wide x 7ft 6in high)
Shipping containers have wooden floors, however, we replace them with steel. Steel mesh floors and drainage sumps are available. Different chemicals can have different requirements, we therefore ask our clients to advise their exact requirements in order for us to confirm a price.
Many different industries
There are many different industries that can use the same chemical store specification e.g.
- Universities, schools, colleges and academies
- Garden Nurseries
- Horticulture & Forestry organisations
- Agriculture & Farming
- Others include:
- Adhesive manufacturers
- Aviation Food & drink
- Councils & local authorities
- Chemical Defence Industry
- Golf Clubs
- Public Sector
- Sports clubs
For more information please contact us today on Freephone 0800 121 7388 or 01473 557409 for a free quotation.
10ft chemical store with steel mesh floor and steel bund
20ft chemical store with steel floor and steel bund
Chemical store sump
For more information on the Farmers, please see our sister Website: www.chemicalstorage4farmers.co.uk
Farmers are under huge pressure to ensure their chemicals are stored safely and securely and I am sure in time, other industries will experience the same pressure.